A Singapore Permanent Resident (PR) status can be obtained through scrutinized conditions set by the governing body of Singapore. The basis of applying for Singapore PR is to procure a work permit or an employment pass. This article elaborates on the different types of passes, the qualifications required and the probability of success if you were to apply to become a Singapore PR. We focus on the two main passes which are the Employment Pass and S Pass.
The Employment Pass is only applicable for foreigners that fit the requirements. The requirements are as follows:
- You currently possess a job or a position has been offered to you
- The nature of these positions can be of managerial, senior or junior executive or technical/specialized role
- The remuneration amount that an employee receives has to be fixed every month, with an amount of $3,600, taking note that employees of higher qualification and experience would require a higher pay to qualify.
- The chances of eligibility are increased and given to those of higher knowledge, qualifications, and skillsets. A degree is the minimum standard along with considerations for professional certification or specialist skills.
Although there is currently no specific list of government-approved educational institutions, the selection process evaluates the prestige of the institution by international ranking and requirements of enrolment. Different circumstances and outcomes may occur during the selection process due to the subjectivity of various factors by the assessing agent. Hence, applicants without the required qualification may still qualify and applicants with the necessary qualification could be rejected. With that being said, we do not recommend pinning your hopes on this as all processes are based on a case by case basis and the probability of success occurring with lower qualifications is relatively low.
The Ministry of Manpower website does have a Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) where applicants can input their particulars to verify their eligibility for the Employment Pass. If your SAT results were positive, stating your successful qualification then congratulations. The estimated chance of 90 % is guaranteed that you will obtain the pass.
The other pass is the S pass. The S pass applies to applicants who are mid-skilled foreign workers such as technicians. The S Pass is only suitable for foreigners that fit the requirements. These requirements are as follows:
- The remuneration amount that an employee receives has to be fixed every month, with a minimum amount of $2,400 as of 1 January 2020, taking note that employees of higher qualification and experience would require a higher pay to qualify
- The requirement for educational certification includes a degree or diploma with the acceptance of technical certification. Regardless of your certification, the duration for any certification should consist of 12 months of full-time education
- Do note that only employers or authorized third parties can apply for a successful applicant for an S pass
The same type of Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) where applicants can input their particulars to verify their eligibility for the Employment Pass is used for the eligibility test of the S pass. Similarly, if your SAT results were positive, stating your successful qualification then congratulations. The estimated chance of 90 % is guaranteed that you will obtain the pass.
So if you think you qualify then apply Singapore PR now!